|Cauliflower Macaroni and Cheese – photo credits to momtastic.com|
This is a healthier spin on the classic Macaroni and Cheese – because sometimes I just crave something creamy, warm, buttery and cheesy! Obviously, this will not be the same, but it curbs that craving and is rich and really satisfying. I made it with a side of grilled chicken. Even Nate was impressed!
- 1 head cauliflower, cored and cut into large pieces
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable stock – if using homemade stock, I’d recommend 1 cup stock and 1 cup water to dilute the flavor just a little.
- 2 bay leaves
- 12 ounces whole-wheat pasta
- 1 cup cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup bread crumbs
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Bring a large pot of water to a boil and cook cauliflower until soft, about 15-20 minutes. Drain and transfer to a food processor.
2. Return pot to a boil and cook pasta for 5 minutes (set a timer!), until partially cooked.
3. In the meantime, heat stock with bay leaves. Simmer for 5 minutes and turn off the heat.
4. Process cauliflower with cheese, oil, mustard, and nutmeg. Add stock and blend to create a sauce, aiming for a fairly thick consistency – you may not need all of the stock. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
5. Transfer pasta to a 9inch square baking dish and cover with cauliflower sauce. Spread evenly in dish, top with breadcrumbs and Parmesan cheese, and back until golden and bubbling, ~30 minutes. Allow to cool just slightly, then serve!
|Photo credits: homesicktexan.com|
Adapted from: SeriousEats.com.