Shrimp Bok Choy Stir Fry – Low Carb
- 3/4 pound shrimp
- 1 tablespoon rice wine or dry sherry
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 Tbsp cornstarch
- 3/4 pound Bok Choy
- 8 ounces fresh mushrooms
- 1 tablespoons vegetable or peanut oil for stir-frying, or as needed
- 2 thin slices ginger (1/4 tsp ground ginger)
- 8 ounces (2.5 cups) snow peas
- 1/4 cup chicken broth, sodium-reduced if possible
- 1/2 packet sugar substitute
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- black pepper, to taste
- hot sauce, to taste
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch mixed with 2 teaspoons water – if needed
1. If using frozen shrimp, defrost. Rinse shrimp
under cold running water and pat dry with paper towels. Place in a bowl and add the rice wine or sherry, 1/2 teaspoon salt and
cornstarch, stirring in one direction (this is to make sure the marinade
2. Chop bok choy stalks diagonally (with the leaves) across into 1 inch
pieces. Cut mushrooms into thin
3. Preheat wok and add 1 Tbsp of olive or peanut oil. When the oil is hot, add the ginger (if using fresh – if ground. Stir fry for 30 seconds, until aromatic, then add the shrimp. Stir-fry
until they turn pink. Remove the cooked shrimp from the pan.
4. Add water to the pan to cook the vegetables. Add the bok choy, mushrooms, and snow peas. Stir-fry for 1 minute. Add the chicken broth, cover and
cook for 2 more minutes.
5. Add the shrimp back into the pan. Add the sugar substitute, soy sauce, and
pepper. Give the cornstarch/water mixture a quick re-stir and add in, stirring to thicken. Cook, stirring for another minute and serve
675 total calories: 35 grams carbs, 20 grams fat, 88 grams protein. If divide into 3 servings: 225 calories, 12 grams carbs, 7 grams fat, 29 grams protein.
Something a little different, light and delicate tasting. Enjoy!
Adapted from http://chinesefood.about.com/od/shrimprecipes/r/shrimp_stir_fry.htm
Excellent recipe! It looks delicious and easy to cook. I hope you can share more recipe like this. Anyway, I saw a great site about stir fry recipes, just Click Here to visit.